Excitement grows over who will be named British Hairdresser of the Year, with the results and star-studded awards ceremony just a month away.
The eight nominated hairdressers are:
- Andrew Barton – previous winner of British Hairdresser of the Year 2006. With his own salon in Covent Garden and an enviable TV career, this is Andrew’s eighth nomination
- Errol Douglas – this is the 15th nomination for Knightsbridge salon owner Errol Douglas, previous winner of Afro Hairdresser of the Year 1993, 1995 and 2007.
- Tim Hartley – this is Tim’s second nomination. With his sense of creativity and empowering teaching ability, Tim has been consistently creating collections and inspiring hairdressers for over 30 years.
- Mark Hayes – the third nomination for Mark Hayes, International Creative Director of Sassoon. A career with the company spanning over 30 years, Mark is responsible for creating their renowned photographic collections.
- Gary Hooker & Michael Young – this is the fourth nomination for owners of salon group Hooker & Young, collectively six times winners of North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year and Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technicians of the Year 2006.
- Akin Konizi – twice winner of British Hairdresser of the year in 2008 and 2009, Artistic Director for HOB. This is Akin’s sixth consecutive nomination.
- Mark Leeson – this is Nottinghamshire salon owner Mark’s first nomination. Known for his glamorous, wearable hair, Mark is a previous Winner of Eastern Hairdresser of the Year 2004, 2005 and 2006, and Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technician of the Year in 2007.
- Angelo Seminara – current British Hairdresser of the Year, Angelo also won the title in 2007. He has also won Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year in 2000, 2003 and 2004.
Selection is done by a specially selected group of industry experts, beauty journalists and international trade press. Previous winners include Trevor Sorbie, Anthony Mascolo, Irvine and Rita Rusk, John Frieda, Andrew Collinge, Nicky Clarke, Charles Worthington, Umberto Giannini, Beverly C, Mark Hill, Antoinette Beenders, Lisa Shepherd, Andrew Barton, Akin Koniz. Current holder of the title is Angelo Seminara, who said in 2010 “I couldn’t believe it when my name was called out, I was overwhelmed and delighted winning the title for the second time is even more special.”